Wednesday 20 June 2012

Longchamp - How to spot the fake

Longchamp, one of the most simple yet expensive bag I have ever met. Almost 70% of the girls I see here in Singapore owns one. At first, I didn't like it that much until I saw the black Planetes. Then after that, I can't sleep thinking about it. For me, spending $200++ for it is just too much. But then, I guess I need to reward myself for being hardworking once in a while. ^_^ So the hunt is on. There are a lot of sellers in eBay offering Longchamp bags at a lower price compared to the mall. Most of them bought them in Paris where its is cheaper and they have them shipped here. The problem is, how will you know the one you are buying is authentic? You don't want to be buying a counterfeit right? So here are some tips for you. I suggest that you carefully examine before buying. Here, I used my very own Longchamp Planetes.

1. The materials and the trimming. The very first thing that you are going to do is to check the quality of the materials. An expensive bag comes with high quality materials. You may also want to check the quality of the trimmings. That is the most easiest to check.







2. The logo. The jockey logo is clearly embossed on the leather flap just above the snap button. Then check the snap button, it should clearly state "Longchamp 1948"








3. At the back portion of the leather flap, the words are also clearly embossed and are aligned. Words vary depending on the model you are buying. Check on the spelling as well, some of the fakes have it misspelled. 







4. The picture on the right is the back part of the leather flap. You would notice that the mark where the logo was embossed. Also check the snap button, it has the wording "Original PRYM 6/4B". The texture of the leather is very smooth and fine.






5. The zipper pull. You will clearly notice that the jockey logo is very detailed. The jockey and horse don't mix together as compared with the fakes. The round Longchamp zipper pulls comes in gold or pewter and it has YKK logo on the side of the pull.






6. The back of the button snap are reinforced with plastic disc, fake ones don't have it.










7. The tag. Original Longchamp has a plastic tag sewn at the side of the bag. Planetes are made from France / Tunisia (correct me if I am wrong), while other Le Pliage are made in China. You will also notice that the tag is very neatly sewn (remember tip 1). 







There you go girls. I think I already covered almost everything there is to know. But if there are more that I missed out, I will be glad to hear from you. Remember to be careful in buying your expensive bags. Don't let the cheap selling price deceive you. :)

Happy shopping! :)

14 comments:

  1. Hi, did your Planetes had plastic wrap on its handles when you bought it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia, nope not wrapped at all. Though the other ones that I bought have plastic wrapped on the handles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any identification for authentic LC Planetes tag??

      Delete
  3. I like this post, ready to work intends to buy a handbag to work, personally like
    longchamp backpack, but do not know how to select the style too good, you help to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Calai, thank you for the tips. My officemate is selling longchamp bags. Can you help me check? I have always wanted to buy one but hesitate because I don't know to check if it is authentic. You mentioned in #4 that the logo should be embossed in the back part of the leather flap. What if it does not have the embossed logo, does this mean that the bag is not authentic? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Where do you bought your longchamp bag? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi where can I check if the tag inside is correct?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.................. I have a question. I have a person selling planetes and the label says made in china. Is it authentic or fake? TIA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi...i bought the same bag online recently...seems legit but doubt with my care card... may i know your care card wording for English is start with ' To remove....' or ' To maintain...'? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi...i bought the same bag online recently...seems legit but doubt with my care card... may i know your care card wording for English is start with ' To remove....' or ' To maintain...'? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What if the zipper doesnt have ykk t and 45 on it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi to correct you... made in france doesnt have disc on the back button

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi the zipper doesnt hava ykk t and 45... but the back button have the disc... it fakes or ...???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi , are you able to check the serial number of my longchamp? Dont know how to check it.it says 2605002532. Thanks

    ReplyDelete